- Addresses signage, traffic control devices
- Investigations of traffic accidents
- School guards
- Speeding complaints
The primary responsibilities of the Traffic Unit are to provide our citizens, whether walking or driving, a safe environment. This is accomplished through education, engineering and enforcement. In order to obtain these goals we strive to meet the following objectives:
- Address citizen complaints concerning traffic laws, ordinances and handicap parking regulations
- Concentrate on school zone enforcement
- Conduct proactive radar enforcement
- Monitor those areas where crashes frequently occur and coordinate with certified engineers in seeking solutions to eliminate them
- Providing speakers at school and community events, addressing community concerns and safety issues while providing available educational literature
- Reduce the number of fatalities and serious injury crashes caused by hazardous moving violations
Included in the Traffic Unit are the Parking Violation Officers (PVOs) and the School Crossing Guards.
To make a traffic complaint please complete and submit the traffic complaint form:
Parking Violations Officers
The Parking Violations Officers enforce all municipal parking violations on township roadways.
School Crossing Guards
The civilian school crossing guards are assigned school posts throughout the township during school hours and keep children and adults safe while traveling to and from school.
The Bloomfield Police Department Motorcycle Unit, which falls under the command of the Uniform Patrol Bureau, operates year round as part of our Special Operations Division. The Motorcycle Unit currently is comprised of a four officer team who are assigned the Harley Davidson Police Electric Glide Motorcycle.
The primary function of the motorcycle unit is aimed at reducing the number of serious injury and fatality collisions through a strict enforcement of the New Jersey Traffic Laws. Other duties include providing additional police presence during special events, assisting with traffic control at serious incidents and providing motorcycle escorts for large public events. In addition, The Motorcycle Unit works closely with residents of the community in educating citizens with traffic related concerns